Day two of the U16 Grant Khomo week
July 01, 2008
Namibia (5) 14 Border Country Districts (5) 12

The Namibians recovered from their huge loss on Day One to claim a 14-12 victory over Border Country Districts in a tightly-contested match. Half-time score was five points each. Although Border CD scored two tries to Namibia’s one, the visitors were determined to have the final say. Buhle Mtyana scored both of CD’s tries in the 6th and 48th minutes. He went on to convert his last try. For Namibia, the points came via an 11th minute try by Malcolm Moore and penalty kicks by Heinrich Kapolo (30th, 33rd and 38th).

Falcons (6) 19 Limpopo (12) 15

The Falcons showed true determination when they bounced back from a 6-12 deficit in the first-half to win the game 19-15. The Limpopo boys were on the rampage in the first-half, scoring a try in the 18th minute (Percy Letsoalo) and another in the 24th (Nkateko Shirilele), with the latter converted by Juan Kotze. The Falcons reply was through a penalty kick in the 4th minute from Ruan Barnard’s boot and a drop goal by Michael Holtzhausen. In the second half, Kotze’s penalty kick (32nd minute) gave Limpopo their full points complement for the day. From there on, it was the Falcons asking the questions, with no answers from the opposition. A 39th minute try by Johannes Brummer was converted by Barnard. Two penalty kicks by Wian Lamprecht (43rd and 50th minutes) took the final score to 19-15.

Pumas XV (0) 15 Griquas (7) 18

After leading 7-0 at half-time, the Griquas kept their reasonable advantage to make the score 18-15 at full-time, against the home Province’s second-stringers. A 12th minute try by Johan Myburgh was converted by Andries de Wet to settle matters in the first half. In the second half, a much more determined Pumas side scored a try in the 30th minute (Jacques Stapelberg), converted by Daniel Grobler. In the 35th minute they hit back with a try (Thembinkosi Nkosi) that earned them their full points for the day. Griquas had the last say when Johan Myburgh scored a try (40th minute) and De Wet added six points with penalty kicks (45th and 49th minutes).

Lions (15) 18 Border (0) 14

Trailing 15-0 at half-time, Border showed commendable mental strength but never-the-less went on to lose the game 14-18. The Lions were devastating in the first-half, with two tries by Willem Viljoen (1st minute) and Armandt Liebenberg (15th minute). The rest of the points came from David Schmidt’s boot with a conversion of Liebenberg’s try and a penalty in the 19th minute. Dean Hammond opened Border’s account with a try in the 33rd minute, converted by James Allderman. Schmidt replied with a penalty kick for the Lions two minutes later to keep them in front. A 49th minute try by Andile Jho and a conversion by Allderman were, however, not enough to save the day for Border.

Boland (0) 0 Griffons (7) 14

The Griffons team proved too much to handle , beating Boland 14-0 after leading 7-0 at the break. The first try came only in the 17th minute from Lushiano James, converted by Luan van Rensburg. The second try, in the 31st minute was from Jacob Brits, also converted by Van Rensburg.

Eastern Province (0) 13 KwaZulu Natal (8) 11

In what must rank as one of the most exciting games of the tournament so far, Eastern Province bounced back from a 0-8 halftime deficit to record a 13-11 win over KZN. Trailing throughout the game, EP shocked KZN with a match-winning penalty kick by Jan Serfontein in the 50th minute, after which the referee declared the match over. KZN opened their tally with a penalty kick in the 8th minute by Frederick Zeilinga and a 24th minute try by Gary Schwarz. The second half was a different kettle of fish. Man-of-the-Match Serfontein kicked a penalty for the Cape boys in the 31st minute, with a penalty kick reply by Zeilinga 12 minutes later. In the 46th minute, EP’s Stephan Deyzel scored a try, converted by Serfontein. From that point, it was left to Serfontein to determine the numbers on the scoreboard and he held his nerve to slot the winning kick.

Leopards (3) 3 South Western Districts (13) 33

In a one-sided contest, the Southern Cape boys proved too good for their North West counterparts. The Eagles won 33-2, after leading 13-3 at half time. Jaco Arendse opened the score for SWD with a 7th minute try, converted by Hendri Rust. Rust was back with two penalty kicks (15th and 21st minute), to end the first half at 13-3. The Leopards points came in the 19th minute when Vernon Prinsloo succeeded with a penalty kick. The rest of the points came from tries by Jaco Arendse (37th minute), Doveno Bowers (41st) and Ronwen Agent (49th). Only the last try was converted, by Johannes Potgieter.

Western Province (11) 24 Free State (3) 8

The Cape side sought to dominate the game from the word go, deservedly earning a 24-8 win in the end. Half-time score was 11-3. They scored two tries to Free State’s one. WP’s Gavin Hauptfleisch’s 5th minute penalty kick started the action on the scoreboard, with a three-point answer from Johannes Goosen’s boot, six minutes later. However, it was WP’s Craig Barry’s try (16th minute) and Hauptfleisch’s second penalty kick that indicated who was hungrier. Hauptfleisch was back with a penalty kick in the 34th minute. Five minutes later, William Small-Smith improved matters for Free State with a try. In the 41st minute Hauptfleisch added another successful penalty kick to the tally, followed by a try by Jacobus Smit in the 53rd minute, converted by Hauptfleisch.

Pumas (0) 7 Blue Bulls (11) 14

The Blue Bulls continued their dominance at the tournament with a 14-7 win over the hosts in the last game of the day. The half-time score was 11-0. With one try apiece, the teams produced some exciting rugby, to the delight of the fans. The first points came in the 7th minute for the Blue Bulls, via Sello Lekitlane. The rest of the first-half points came from two penalty kicks by Morne van den Berg (12th and 18th minutes). In the second half, Johannes Putter added points for the Blue Bulls with a 44th minute penalty kick. The home side’s converted try by Xolani Mhlanga (47th minute) was perhaps too little, too late.