Citing report Methetheli Fuzani - Varsity Cup
1 The Varsity Cup and Varsity Shield are governed by IRB Regulation 17, dealing with acts of on-field foul play. The said regulations are hereinafter referred to as “the Regulations”.
Click on a link below to download the Citing report: Methetheli Fuzani - Varsity Cup
Disciplinary Hearing of SP Wessels
The Player is suspended from all rugby from 5 October 2012 up to and including 19 October 2012
J Lubbe SC Chairperson
SP Wessels Player
Date of hearing: 10 October 2012
Place of hearing: Teleconference
1) SP Wessels (Player) received a red card in the 74th minute of the match played between the Griquas and the Kings u/21 teams in Welkom on 5 October 2012 in Kimberley for breach of Law 10.4 (a) in that he allegedly struck an opponent with his head.
2) The Player admitted the offence.
3) In terms of the regulations I must first determine the applicable entry level. On the Player’s own admission the striking was intentional and in retaliation. It was not executed with much force and the King’s player was not injured. The said action had no effect on the game or the victim. In my view the applicable entry level is the low entry level carrying a recommended sanction of four weeks.
4) There are no aggravating features. The Player is a twenty year old man. He advised that he received a yellow card whilst still at school. He pleaded guilty and showed remorse. I accept that he acted on the spur of the moment in retaliation. On the evidence I am satisfied that the Player is entitled to a reduction of the prescribed sanction of four weeks and I reduce the sanction by two weeks.
5) The Player is suspended from all rugby from 5 October 2012 up to and including 19 October 2012.
6) The Player was advised of his right to appeal.
J Lubbe SC
12 October 2012